Taylors College is a provider of university preparation programs in Australia and New Zealand. Established in Melbourne, Australia in 1920.
Student Visa requirements for Australia
As an international student, you would most commonly require a student (subclass 500) visa, regardless of your field of study. The visa you need will depend on your age, the type of study, and how long you want to stay in Australia.
For international students, the most common requirement is a student (subclass 500) visa, regardless of your field of study.
Student visa (subclass 500)
You can read up in detail about this kind of visa on the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website.
A student subclass 500 visa lets you stay in Australia for the duration of your study program, which is mostly up to five years and in line with your enrolment date. For a smooth stay, you need to ensure that your visa remains valid and you abide by the conditions as mentioned on your student visa. Basic checks before you apply
- You should be enrolled in your desired study program in Australia
- You should hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) or either fall in any of the exemption categories
- You must be equal to or more than 6 years
- You need to prove that you have a welfare arrangement (in case you are less than 18 years of age)
Documents required for an Australian student visa
When applying for your student visa for Australia, you will generally need:
- Proof of enrolment (your electronic confirmation of enrolment)
- A valid passport
- Your visa application fee
- Your Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
- Academic and work experience documents
- Evidence of your English proficiency skills (such as IELTS test scores)
- Evidence of financial ability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare)
- Details of your health insurance policy
- Statement of purpose
- Passport-sized photographs
If you are under 18 years of age, you will also need to provide additional documents such as parental consent.
English language requirements
To gain your Australia student visa, you’ll have to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular high-stakes English language proficiency test for study, work and migration, with more than three million tests taken in the past year. The IELTS results are recognized by more than 10,000 organisations, including educational institutions, employers, professional associations, and governments, in 140 countries around the world.
The minimum score required in your IELTS for an Australian student visa is 5.5 band in each of the four modules.
Making sure your visa remains valid
Once you get your visa, there are several things you need to do to ensure it remains valid, including:
- Remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
- Provide your Australian address to your university or college so they can contact you (don’t forget to let them know if you move)
- Continue to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia
- Don’t breach the working conditions that apply to your visa
If you want to change your qualification level, you will need to apply for a new student visa.
You can always contact us for a free counselling session and we can guide you on how to go about the entire visa application process.