Swansea University is a public research university located in Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom. It was chartered as University College of Swansea in 1920, as the fourth college of the University of Wales.
Student Visa requirements for the UK
The UK Government provides an opportunity to all students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a student visa first to study in UK.
The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you wish to pursue in the UK.
Here’s an overview of the types of study visas and their application requirements:
|Type of student visa||Who it’s for||When to apply||Arrival in the UK|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa||Students aged 16 or over who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution||Three months before the start of your course||Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer. Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months|
|Tier 4 (Child) student visa||Students aged between four and 17 who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor, such as an independent fee-paying school||Three months before the start of your course||Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer. Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months|
|Short-term study visa||Students who have offered a place in a short-term course in the UK, such as an English language course or training course||Three months before your date of travel to the UK||Depends on your nominated travel dates|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa||Students who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor||Three months before the start of your course||Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months|
*For detailed information, please visit the Gov.UK website
To be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa, you must:
- Have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor
- Be able to speak, read, write and understand English
- Financial proofs i.e., exhibiting enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
- For short term study visa, you must show the intention to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your study (i.e., before the end of date of your immigration permission)
Documents required for Tier 4 student visa
When applying for your Tier 4 visa, you will generally need:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Evidence of funds to provide your living expenses for the duration of your course
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS
- Passport-sized colour photographs
- Tuberculosis screening (if required)
- Assessment documentation
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate (if required)
Additional documents may also be needed if you are:
- Not a citizen of the country you are applying from
- Under 18 years of age
- Have family (dependents)
If any of your supporting documents is not in English, you will need to have it translated. Each translated document must be dated, and include the translator’s name and signature and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.
Visa fee depends upon the visa that you will apply for:
|Visa type||Visa fee|
|General student visa (Tier 4)||It costs £348 as the application fee for the visa from outside the UK. Also, you must pay £348 per person for any dependants.|
|Tier 4 (Child) student visa||It costs £348 as an application fee for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa from outside the UK. Also, You’ll have to pay the healthcare surcharge that will be part of your application.|
|Short-term study visa||It costs:
• £97 for a 6-month visa
• £186 for an 11-month visa
Mode of payment
- Online mode i.e., MasterCard or Visa card
- Through demand draft to be submitted at the visa application centre or the selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank
- Through Cash payment at the visa application centre or the selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank
English language requirements
To gain your UK student visa and study abroad, you’ll have to provide with an evidence of proficiency in the English language. This usually means passing a secure English language test to be able to prove your communication and correspondence skills.
IELTS for UKVI is an IELTS test approved for UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) purposes. This applies to everyone coming from a non-English speaking country. While there is no change in the content, format or level of difficulty and scoring, IELTS for UKVI simply follows certain extra security protocols to ensure the authenticity of the test taker.
You may also have to appear for a personal interview at the UK embassy or consulate.
It depends upon the type of visa that you will apply, as it will include the minimum requirement of IELTS exam:
|Visa type||IELTS requirement|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa – below degree level and pre-sessional courses||IELTS for UKVI – 4.0 overall, and in each of the four skills|
|Tier 4 (General) student visa – degree level and above||IELTS/IELTS for UKVI – 5.5 overall, and in each of the four skills|
Biometric residence permit
As part of your application, you must also obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from the UKVI. You will need to make an appointment with the UKVI to have your fingers and thumbs scanned and a digital photo taken of your face.
You can always contact us for a free counselling session and we can guide you on how to go about the entire visa application process.